2022 Colloquium Theme:
From Christian Political Economy to Christian Socialism
Join us for two panels of scholars presenting their cutting-edge, interdisciplinary research on this topic, as well as a plenary lecture from Dr. Ross B. Emmett.
Ross B. Emmett is Professor of Economic Thought and Director of the Center for the Study of Economic Liberty in the School of Civic and Economic Thought at Arizona State University. His plenary lecture is entitled, "Nineteenth-Century British Christian Socialism: The Attempt to Re-Unite That Which Malthus Tore Asunder."
The conference will be held at the Acton Institute in Grand Rapids, Michigan, on Friday, October 7, 2022.
9:30am Coffee reception and Registration
10:00am Opening remarks
10:30am First Short Paper Panel
- John D. Mueller, "Political Economy as Protestant Theology" (remote)
- Richard Turnbull, "Evangelicals and Business in the Nineteenth Century" (remote)
- Michael Douma, "The Reformed Church in America and the Problem of Slavery"
2:00pm Second Short Paper Panel
- Nathanael Snow, "Catallactic Theology: Reconciling Political Economy and Theology in a Pluralist Institutional Environment"
- Bradley W. Bateman, "Christian Theology and American Economics: From the Free Market to Socialism"
- Dylan Pahman, "F. D. Maurice and the Patristic Sources of Christian Socialism"
3:30pm Coffee Break
4:00pm Plenary Lecture by Dr. Ross B. Emmett
5:00pm End of Conference
The registration fee is $25, with a reduced student rate of $15 for any up-and-coming young scholars. Group registrations (10 or more persons) are available for a discounted rate of $10 per person.
For further details, contact Dylan Pahman, executive editor, Journal of Markets & Morality, email@example.com.